There is no scarcity of the kayak enthusiasts in the world. Kayaking is one such sport that is played in the water and thus, it gives a lot of adrenaline rush to the people. Back in the day, kayaks were quite bulky and had limited features, but not anymore. Kayaks that are available today are super-stylish and can be taken along to the right place easily. The materials that are used in the kayaks today are PVC and Hypalon, which are two of the most reliable and highly-efficient materials that could withstand a huge amount of pressure easily. If you are about to buy an inflatable kayak in the upcoming days, then it will be a PVC kayak, a Hypalon kayak or Nitrylon kayak.
For those who don’t know what PVC is, then it is called Poly-vinyl Chloride. It is one type of plastic that is manufactured quite cheaply. But, not to get confused with its cheap price because it is a highly durable material that is used in a wide range of applications, including kayaks
What are the beneficial aspects of using a PVC kayak?
- Like I mentioned above that kayaks is a highly rugged material, so kayaks that are manufactured from PVC are extremely portable and convenient.
- PVC coated fabrics are also available in a wide range of colors, which allows kayak enthusiasts to choose their favorite colors.
- Inflatable kayaks that are made from PVC tend to stay intact for a long period of them it taken proper care by the kayakers.
- PVC is a cheaper material than Hypalon, which also means that PVC kayaks are also quite affordable.
- It is also possible to weld PVC, so kayakers can add more features into their kayaks.
- Kayakers who need to replace the faulty part in the kayaks can easily patch new PVC material to cover the old part.
- In order to increase the strength of the kayak, people add a coating of PVC on their kayaks.
Besides these beneficial aspects, there are a few drawbacks of PVC as well. PVC is not resistant to a wide range of chemicals and gasoline. Moreover, the benefits of the material get reduced when it is kept in the sunlight for a long period of time. Ultraviolet rays can also damage PVC, but if kayakers spray a UV protectant spray on the kayak, then it can save the material from getting damaged.
That was all about PVC kayaks, and if you are not fully convinced with the material, then not to worry. We have got another material for you, which is also quite popular with the inflatable kayak manufacturers. The name of the material is Hypalon, which is a synthetic rubber that is known for its resistance to extreme temperatures, UV rays and a host of chemicals. If an inflatable kayak is not made from PVC, then it ought to be made from Hypalon.
Let us check out its beneficial aspects on the Hypalon kayaks.
- Kayakers who put themselves into the category of ‘careless people’ should get the kayaks that are made from Hypalon. This material last the longest out of any material used to manufacture kayaks.
- Kayakers should not worry about any environmental elements, as the material has shown its resistance to all of them.
- There is no effect of the UV rays on the kayaks that are made from Hypalon.
- If Hypalon kayaks are coated with a material named ‘Neoprene’, then the kayaks become a flawless machine, as they will have superb air holding capabilities and high resistance to oil.
- You will also feel proud while having a Hypalon kayak because the same material is used in the boats ridden by US military and Coast Guard.
The material is a bit expensive when compared to its closest competitor ‘PVC’, but has more features to cover that price part. Moreover, people can’t weld Hypalon, so they have to glue the material on the concerned spot.
There is one more material that is used in the world today by the name of Nitrylon. This material is a lamination of natural rubber and synthetic rubber, thus making it a low polyester fabric.
Here are the beneficial aspects of having a kayak made from Nitrylon:
- This material is a lot more rugged and durable than the PVC.
- It is resistant to abrasion and punctures, so can be used in rough and tough places.
- People who want to do kayaking in winters can buy kayaks made from Nitrylon as it performs better than other materials during winters.
- Patching it is also easier when compared to the PVC.
The only drawback of this material is that it can be a bit heavy, so if you want to buy a kayak that is made from Nitrylon, then be ready to experience a heavier kayak.