Things To Consider By The Beginners When Choosing The Best Kayak Paddle (Reviews 2016)
With a plethora of water sports present in the world, it becomes extremely hard for a person to decide, which sport he/she should play in the first place. Let me cut the chase for you by mentioning the name of the most promising, refreshing, exciting and unforgettable sport in the name of ‘kayaking’. When you miss that adrenaline rush, then there is no better way in getting that back than getting on to a kayak and paddling your way in the stream of water. So, if you are a beginner, then I must let you know that kayaking is perhaps one of those water sports that you will surely love trying in your free time. Kayaking is not just about going with the flow of water, but it is a rigorous physical activity that can help you provide answers to your physical related issues and entertainment related issues at the same time. In kayaking, the type of kayak is an important decision to make. Since there are many different varieties available in the market, you can opt for the inflatable kayak as they are easy to maintain and can be put inside a bag and inflate at the spot. But is that kayak the sole important thing? No, the paddle is another important accessory that you have to keep in mind before going out for kayaking.
Things to consider while buying a best kayak paddle?
Here are some of the important things to consider while buying a paddle for kayaking:
- Blade: It is important for you to determine the type of blade you want to have. With a wide assortment of them available in the market, you can buy the short one, long, narrow, wide, spooned, feathered and unfeathered. Every person has his/her own requirements, so you need to find yours.
- Shape and length of the shaft: You will find most paddle shafts to be straight, but there is a significant number that is curved or bent. It is important to keep the length of the shaft in mind. If you choose a long paddle, then you may experience some difficulties in using it, and if you choose too short paddle shaft, then it will splash the water into the kayak.
- Type of material used: Kayak paddles come in three major types of materials that are; fiberglass, aluminium, plastic and graphite. The weight of the paddle depends upon the material it is made from, plus the price is also determined by the material.
The right size of the paddle: How to find it?
Just take a look at the length of the paddle if you want to come to any conclusion. A paddle is not just an accessory for kayaking, but an extension of your body. Since every person has his/her own build, then you need to find the right paddle that can be a perfect extension of your body. A person having a short torso should buy a longer paddle, and a person having a long torso should opt for a shorter paddle. The size of the kayaks also comes into the play when deciding the paddle; if the paddle is long, then choose a longer kayak.
The shape of the paddle: A key aspect
- Play Boating: With the expansion of the sport in the recent years, kayak accessories manufacturing companies have started making better products. It doesn’t matter whether you want the feeling of a kayaking on a glassy wave of water or notify the ATC in case of any trouble, a properly made paddle will do it for you in a comprehensive way. You can droop the shape of the play boat blade and focus more on the surface area of the blade below the mid-line of the paddle. By doing this, the kayak paddle will get in touch with the water sooner and allow you to float in a better way and by putting less effort.
- Creek Boating or River Running: As a beginner, you need to be a lot more agile when going downstream. You will come across a wide number of eddies, holes, ledges, waves and waterfalls. An efficient paddle blade will help you move forward and clear all the obstacles. It is extremely important to choose the right paddle if you are a beginner because water is fun, but it can be dangerous if you become casual. A river running paddle for kayaking is filled with thick material till the upper tip of the paddle. The tip is heavier than the rest of the paddle, and it allows new kayakers like you to reach the water much before than other paddles and give the best impact when you do the forward stroke. If you opt to kayak in the river or creek, then this type of a paddle is the best option to choose.
Angles of the blade: How do they impact?
Low Angle: A kayak paddle is a lot dependent on the angles. The paddles with low angle paddles have longer and narrower blades that are designed to make each stroke equally effective because it gets the right surface area and maintaining a smooth and continuous forward stroke. Your hand will come to your shoulder height and you will be in a more relaxed position. You don’t want to feel excruciating after the kayaking activit therefore it is better to opt for the paddles with low angles.
High Angle: Where low angles give you more options, there are many features of having a paddle that has high angle. You will get committed to your own kayaking technique and a far better tracking, which is always good for kayakers. Though, it is a bit more aggressive style of kayaking because you need to paddle with a much faster flow and a large number of strokes. Let me give you a piece of advice when you are out for kayaking with a high angled paddle. You need to keep your top hand at par with the forehead height when taking a stroke. You will then see the paddle coming closer to your kayak, which will keep your boat on the right path. When your kayak is on the right track, you can easily move towards the end line. You need to pick up wider and shorter blade to put the surface area of the paddle blade into the water. Your shoulder will also remain in the right position and will be less tired.
So, there are many things for you to consider while buying a paddle blade for your kayak. I have mentioned all the major ones, but in case, you find something else, don’t forget to pay attention to them. Kayaking is a wonderful water sport, but can be turned into the most difficult one if you don’t choose your paddle blade wisely. With a wide assortment of paddle blades available in the market, just take a stroll, shortlist the right ones and then, pick the best paddle blade that perfectly suits your needs. Don’t hurry when doing kayaking because water can be merciless if you don’t respect it. Start kayaking on the calm waters and after you gain some experience, move on to the rough waters.